Friday, August 15, 2008

WD Roundup


Western Digital's My Book and My Passport series of external hard drives are not only practical but affordable. My Book hard drives are powered (ie they need to be plugged into the electrical mains) while My Passport drives are USB powered and are way more mobile.

Here are the prices from the 3rd floor V-Mall in Greenhills;

My Book Essentials -
500gig PHP4,800
1 TB - PHP8,600

Prices of My Book are based on their lowest model (USB interface), the higher models have firewire and e-sata connections that provide faster read /write speeds but I feel like the basic model is fine.

My Passport Essentials -
160gig PHP3,250
250gig PHP4,300
320gig PHP5,500

Note there's also a My Passport Elite and Studio edition that basically have more software installed in them, again, for me the Essential series is fine.

The cheapest I found are from Acenet, right near the entrance to the centre aisle on the third floor.

Here's a tip: Don't buy hard drives unless you are absolutely going to use them already, prices drop and capacity increases every other month.

No comments: